Claudia, our designer at Colorantic, loves to give furniture a second life. They inherited some of her husband’s grandmother’s furniture, including this beautiful little nightstand, perfect for an evening project.
To give this find a contemporary edge while retaining a vintage feel, Claudia chose the color Boule de Coton, which will complement any room in the house. To give the piece of furniture a little something extra, she inserted wallpaper.
Products used on the bedside table:
Cleaning, sanding and preparing furniture
- Remove the drawer.
- Remove the handle.
- Spray varnish cleaner and make-up remover on all surfaces, spread with a paper towel and leave for 10 minutes.
- Rinse well twice to remove all residues.
- Sand lightly using the sanding block and dust well.
- Use the roller to apply two coats of oil-based primer.
- Allow to dry for approximately 30 minutes between each coat of oil primer.
Now it’s time to have fun and start painting!
- Using a #6 oval brush, paint all areas not accessible with the foam roller. (corners, moldings, tabs, drawer interior, drawer) with the color of your choice (Boule de Coton for this project).
- Then use the foam roller to paint the entire cabinet. The foam roller gives a more even finish on large surfaces.
- Repeat until the coverage is to your liking. Three layers were required for this project.
- Once the paint is completely dry, it’s time to apply the varnish using the Colorantic foam roller and brush.
- We used two coats of varnish. Each layer is left to dry for about 30 minutes.
- Measure the bottom of the cabinet and the sides of the drawers, then cut out the correct measurements on the wallpaper.
- Peel off a single section of wallpaper, placing it in a straight position, then stick it down completely.
So there you have it, a beautiful transformation in one evening. For this small bedside table, our designer ulilized a 16 oz conton ball and handle.
She took only the bottom of the oil primer she already had and also of her cleaner. So a nice transformation for about $35.
Find more inspiration in our decorating group
Blogger / Consultant / Designer