How to paint fabric
Did you know that you can paint fabric with our Colorantic chalk paint?
Your armchair is very comfortable, but it has faded over time and you’d like to keep it for several more years. Perhaps you’d like to personalize your plain cushion covers or give a lampshade a unique look, so don’t hesitate to paint all your fabrics using our Colorantic chalk paint.
People are reclaiming more and more, and it’s by scouring jumble sales, flea markets, social networks and much more that they’re making some great finds. In addition to finding affordable objects that they can transform to their liking, they are also helping to protect the planet.
In this guide, we’ll take you through all the steps you need to follow to get the job done right.
Make sure you have the following supplies
- Colorantic nail polish cleaner and remover
- Colorantic two-grit sanding block
- Chalk paint in the color of your choice. Colorantic chalk-based paint is available in a wide range of colors.
- Clear glaze, Colorantic translucent window
- Natural beeswax
- XL and 16mm brushes
- Water spray bottle
- 1 Clean linen
- Blue shop towels
Preparing your workspace
Before starting your project, take the time to prepare your workspace. Start by selecting a suitable area that offers enough space to move around freely. To avoid unwanted paint splashes, cover your work surface with a drop cloth or a few sheets of newspaper. Trust us, taking the time to prepare your workspace will make all the difference to a successful experience.
When it comes to painting with Colorantic chalk paint, preparation, which may be the least interesting step, is the number 1 key to success!
Whether you’re painting fabric to create a unique piece of furniture or accessory, or simply for a fun craft project, it’s important to prepare the fabric very well before you start your work to maximize its durability.
Once you’ve gathered all the necessary materials and prepared your fabric, it’s time to get started.
Paint application stages
1. It is important to remove all dust and stains that could prevent the paint from adhering properly. Use of a vacuum cleaner and Colorantic Varnish Cleaner and Remover are required. Rinse the cleaner thoroughly with hot water before continuing your work.
2. Spray the fabric generously with water. The purpose of this is to open up the fibers to allow the paint to penetrate properly.
3. Mix well and apply:
⅓ portion of paint
⅓ portion of glaze
⅓ portion of water
Apply three to four coats of this mixture, reducing the amount of water with each coat, but always keeping the same quantities of paint and glaze.
4. Sand lightly between coats and dust well before continuing.
The final step – wax application
1. We recommend that you allow the paint to dry for 24 hours before proceeding to the next step.
2. You can now start applying the Natural Beeswax.
3. Randomly apply wax in sections of approx. 2 sq. ft. using our XL and/or 16 mm brushes.
4. Once the wax has been applied, be sure to polish well using the paper towels. It is very important to change the cloth frequently, as it will become clogged with wax and make polishing more difficult.
5. When you have finished waxing, we strongly recommend that you allow the wax to dry for two weeks before using your chair.
With these tips, you’re now ready to transform all your items into fabric. So go ahead and unleash your inner artist to create stunning decorative elements! With a little creativity and patience, you’ll be creating works of art in no time!
Colorantic chalk paint is easy to work with and dries quickly. Since it’s non-toxic, your children will have lots of fun creating beautiful decorative objects.
Transforming the look of all your fabrics can be a fun project, especially when you use Colorantic chalk paint.
There’s no limit to creativity – just let your imagination run wild!